[Coral-List] Coral Reef?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 22:49:42 UTC 2020

Good point.  All boats have a draft much less than 20m deep, an aircraft
carrier has a draft of about 50 feet I believe and surely there are few if
any others that have a greater draft.  Most boats have vastly less draft.
Do we only want to only call bioherms that get to within say, less than 10
feet of the surface "coral reefs"??  Or 5 feet or 2 feet?  That would be
silly, surely.
     On the other hand, surely these deep constructions are not the same as
the tropical shallow water ones.  Do they have any species at all in
common??  I bet very few, they are in very different environments, both
light and temperature.  One is built by a diverse assemblage of
zooxanthellate corals that is nearly a solid structure near its surface,
only in shallow, warm sunlit tropical waters.  The other is built in much
deeper, dark, cold water that can be at high latitude like the fjords of
Norway, by a single azooxanthellate species for each construction and
usually consists of thin branches that are not filled in near the surface
of the construction.
      I suggest that these two things are not the same thing, they are
quite different and separate.  And thus it might be fitting to call them
different things.  No?  Do we call apples and oranges the same thing?
Chalk and cheese?
      It's pretty obvious that reef flats, reef slopes, and the mesophotic
zones are commonly all parts of one structure with continuous ecosystem and
geological structure extending between them, and that shallow water
tropical coral reefs come in a wide variety of shapes, and there are
different biogeographic provinces such as the Indo-Pacific and Caribbean
and Brazil.  Yet they share a lot in common, and are commonly called coral
reefs from the surface down to as far down as they extend.  I suspect there
is little or no overlap in the depth ranges of shallow water tropical coral
reefs and the deep cold water coral bioherms.  And no shallow tropical
coral reef extends in an unbroken ecosystem or geological structure to one
of these deep cold water azooxanthellate constructions.  We do have a term
for geological constructions in the ocean produced by organisms that is a
more general category and includes all such structures no matter what
organism produces them, namely a "bioherm."  And we distinguish oyster
reefs from worm reefs from coralline algae constructions, from shallow
tropical coral reefs.  We don't call oyster reefs "coral reefs." just
because they are made by organisms in shallow water.
     Surely, the things that are important are the reality of the
geological structure and the ecosystems, not whether a boat can hit them or
not.  But, all shallow warm water coral reefs have the potential to reach
shallow depths typical of boats, and NO deep cold water azooxanthellate
bioherms do, isn't that correct?
     Is it too much of a stretch to have different names for different
things?  Isn't it a useful distinction?
Cheers,  Doug