[Coral-List] Newly discovered reef

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Sun Nov 15 17:16:39 UTC 2020

Thanks Doug, You are so right. I would like to point out that the deep
core atEnewetak was drilled in the center of Oak crater. It was a
9-megaton shot initiated in 14 ft of water on the leeward side of the
shallow reef flat. . I was on the ship that did the coring and had
already operated a diver operated coring project on the shallow reef
ward margin of Oak Crater.I produced a 16 mm film of the coring project
for the Defense Nuclear Agency so I am not surprised that the Volcanic
rock was down so deep. I might point out that the coring demonstrated
that the limestone was crushed many meters below ground zero which is
presently about 200 ft deep. With that said I contend that had the
coring taken place near the center of the Atoll volcanics would have
been encountered at a much shallower depth. (that is compatible with the
Darwin hypothesis)

I might also mention that seaward of the large crater made by the first
hydrogen device a portion of the reef about the size of a city block
broke off the outer edge of the reef flat and sank in several thousand
feet of rock. The event produced a huge vertical outcrop of reef
limestone. We dove on that outcrop to a depth of 1000 ft using the Delta
submarine. Yes, is was coral limestone all the way down as we could go
with the sub. The outcrop also revealed solution caves that contained
both stalagtites and stalagmites demonstrating that at least that
portion of the reef limestone had once been exposed to fresh water.(If
you Google Earth Enewetak you can see the craters and the broken edge of
the reef flat. Gene

--
No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor