[Coral-List] A controversy of "Great durability" (Darwin was wrong?)

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 19:10:48 UTC 2020

Good one.  I think one of our problems is that sometimes we think it has to
be one or the other, that they are mutually exclusive.  Likely they were
originally presented that way.  But surely these processes can occur
together.  Sea level affects coral reefs, just as subsidence does.  I
suggest they are not mutually exclusive.
      I have the same feeling about the arguments about top-down control
and bottom-up control of algae.  Surely, both nutrients and herbivory
affect algae populations, don't they??  In different locations, one may be
more important than the other, or vice versa.
      Can't we think more broadly than considering these things as mutually
exclusive??
Cheers, Doug

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 6:44 AM Bill Allison via Coral-List <