[Coral-List] Darwin was WRONG about reef formation

Rupert Ormond rupert.ormond.mci at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:47:18 UTC 2020

Yes I pretty much agree with Doug.

As usual Darwin had the key insight, and unfortunately headlines
claiming that he was wrong risk inciting conspiracists and
fundamentalists. Even a hundred years ago we realised from Daly's work
on Glacial Control Theory that the results of Darwin's geological
upheavals were likely greatly amended by shorter eustatic processes.

As a result, 50 years ago, I was teaching in classes that ironically The
Australian Great Barrier Reef is not a Barrier Reef, and that the huge
Atolls of the Maldives are not atolls (despite atoll being a Maldivian
word in origin) - AT LEAST in the "Darwinian Sense".

Despite this, in the last decade or so I keep seeing people mentioning
the Great Barrier Reef as the best example of a Barrier Reef, and the
Maldives as providing the best examples of atolls - perhaps in writing
by authors whose expertise in newer branches of bioscience left no time
for reading in basic reef biology. Was I wrong all those years??

I guess it all depends what you mean by a barrier reef or an atoll?

cheers,

Rupert

--
*Prof. Rupert Ormond***
**

**Co-Director, Marine Conservation International
Hon. Professor, Centre for Marine Biodiversity & Biotechnology,
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh