[Coral-List] Darwin was WRONG about reef formation

Russell Kelley BYOGUIDES russell at byoguides.com
Mon Oct 19 00:00:40 UTC 2020

Hi Doug / List

It’s a useful contribution but bound to irk geologists (like me) a tad.

Part of the problem is the Darwin subsidence theory is so generalised that it is basically true to some degree, at some time, in any atoll origin story.

The other part of the problem, as it so often the case, is when we jump time scales in our story telling e.g. from “Deep Time” to 'Deepish' time e.g. the cyclic ice ages of the Plio / Pleistocene and thence into the high resolution framework of Carbon and Uranium series dating radiometric time and the deep sea cora data sets that go with it. So in general, generalisations are fun and easy to teach. They’re also rarely true.

We see the same problem with the geologists and biologists arguing about what defines the Anthropocene. On one side are some Deep Time people poo-pooing the significance of the Anthropocene compared to their favourite deep time global cataclysm. On the other side are people wanting to use a fistful global distributed benchmarks / data frameworks unavailable in Deep Time. Neither party is entirely right or wrong - their storytelling / arguments are flawed because of the telescoping timescales and resolve of the data sets that go with them. For the record I say define the Anthropocene using atomic testing radioactivity and then start a new high resolution eco-bio-geological timescale that includes all the groovy isotopic / bio-geochemical data sets going forward. Why hamstring the documentation of the planet’s destruction using a blurred lens hubble telescope in a distant galaxy recording to VHS when it could be writ large in pristine Ultra High Definition live on TV - if anyone would broadcast it.

However I digress  ;-)

Russ

Russell Kelley

Churchill Fellow 2019

Recipient 2017 Australian Coral Reef Society Medal for Science Advocacy

Program Director
Coral Identification Capacity Building Program

Writer, project manager, television producer, science communication consultant.

Author: Reef Finder - the world’s first searchable underwater ID smart guide
Author: Indo Pacific Coral Finder - the world’s first searchable ID guide to corals

www.byoguides.com <http://www.byoguides.com/>
www.russellkelley.info <http://www.russellkelley.info/>