[Coral-List] Darwin was WRONG about reef formation

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:08:50 UTC 2020

     I think this is a good point, if you define an atoll as a ring of
coral at the surface of the water without an island in the center (as we
generally do), then there are ways it can form other than a sinking
volcano, and an elevated ring left by rainwater dissolving the center of a
platform during low sea level is a way in which a ring can form, or on a
raised continental block as in the western Caribbean.  On the other hand,
Darwin was right about the sequence that happens on subsiding volcanoes on
oceanic plates, from fringing to barrier to atoll, but reefs commonly also
build on continents, which can also have vertical movements (though usually
less total vertical movement).  I just remembered that there are oceanic
volcanic islands that do not subside, namely the volcanoes in island arcs
behind trenches.  Examples being the windward Antilles in the Caribbean,
and Tonga, Vanuatu, and the Marianas in the Pacific.  Those latter three
have volcanic islands that have been raised some, with layers of reef
limestone raised out of the water that sometimes look like layered cakes
from a distance.  The edge of the plate that they are on does not subside,
a plate moving down into the trench and going under where the volcanoes
are, or other factors, can raise the islands at least enough to lift reefs
out of the water.     Cheers,  Doug

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 8:22 AM Dennis Hubbard via Coral-List <