[Coral-List] Coral-List Lives On (but I'm retiring!)

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 4 16:45:12 UTC 2020

Greetings!

     Coral-List began through the efforts of Louis Florit and I on May
23, 1995, over 25. years ago, and since that day, with about one hundred
subscribers, our membership has grown to 9,926 coral enthusiasts,
professional researchers, academicians, agency representatives, and
laypeople of all types and professions.  This will always be my most
cherished legacy out of the 30 years that I have worked for NOAA, and it
will continue, at least for now, under the watchful eye of our Systems
Administrator (and coral researcher diver), Mike Jankulak.

     I'm not elequent enough to tell you the pride I felt when people
would walk up to me at international meetings, such as the quadrennial
International Coral Reef Symposia, and say that they just wanted to
thank me personally because they got the job they now have because of a
job posted on Coral-List.  We've always been a not-very-fancy text
online service (to keep the bandwidth down, but other reasons, too), but
we have continued to be a main point of circulation for important coral
reef conservation efforts over all these years.  At our NOAA Lab, the
Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorlogical Laboratory in Miami, FL, we
have built a world class coral research group, and since the very
beginning, we. have worked hand-in-glove with NOAA's Coral Reef
Conservation Program to realize the NOAA mission in the conservation of
corals in the U.S. jurisdictions, but also with our international partners.

     I hope some of you who have remained silent over the years will
speak up about your local coral reef conservation concerns and share
with the Coral-List community.  As someone recently pointed out, there
are a few users who do most of the contributing; but folks, we've got a
global problem with corals, so please let us know the problems in your
area and let us know what you think the (local) solution is.

     I retire from NOAA next Friday, September 12, 2020, but I will
remain engaged with NOAA as a private citizen as much as I can and
hopefully see many of you at next year's 14th International Coral Reef
Symposium.  I will keep my NOAA email address for at least another six
months, so write to me if you'd like.

     In closing, besides Mike Jankulak and Louis Florit, I would. also
like to think Lew Gramer and Clarke Jeffris for their efforts during
their tenure with our Division.

     Your fan always,
     Jim

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    James C. Hendee <http://www.coral.noaa.gov/people/jim-hendee.html>,
    Ph.D.
    Director, Ocean Chemistry and Ecosystems Division
    Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
    4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
    Miami, Florida  33149-1026
    Voice: 305 361-4396
    Fax: 305 361-4392