[Coral-List] ICRS 2021 meeting session: Can Coral Reef Restoration Increase Coastal Protection?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 22:03:33 UTC 2020

  Wouldn't an important aspect be how long improvements in the amount of
live coral last??  If people plant out 10,000 corals and feel good about
themselves, but only 100 survive more than 5 years, was it worth it??  This
is a question which it seems to me the huge number of enthusiastic coral
restoration people are dodging, and I think it is a critical one.  Bad
water quality and mass coral bleaching can undo all these good efforts, and
WILL, if we don't address them, and so far we're failing miserably at
that.  Isn't this fad just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic???
Cheers,  Doug

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 7:05 AM Storlazzi, Curt D via Coral-List <