[Coral-List] ICRS 2021 Hybrid/Dual Strategy

Christian Wild christian.wild at uni-bremen.de
Thu Sep 10 15:08:51 UTC 2020

Dear coral reef community,

As you are aware, due to the COVID-19 pandemic we were unfortunately
forced to postpone the 14th ICRS from July 2020 to July 2021. We now
realize that the pandemic may also affect ICRS 2021, because of the
enduring risk of infection, related travel restrictions, and
implementation limitations.

These circumstances represent a clear financial and logistical
challenge for us organizers of the 14th ICRS. We committed ourselves
to host an unforgettable ICRS 2021 on-site event in Bremen. We
strongly believe in the importance of face-to-face networking and the
development of personal contacts that such a global conference (which
only takes place every 4 years) provides to all participants. This
goes far beyond the mere exchange of scientific contents. And that is
why we are trying our best to make this on-site event happening.

To accommodate the above considerations, we have started to develop a
hybrid/dual strategy that combines the planned ICRS 2021 On-Site Event
from July 18-23 in Bremen with ICRS 2021 Online. This will provide not
only on-site, but also online participants the opportunity to have
their work evaluated, seen, and commented on by the coral reef
community.

The design and implementation of this strategy of course strongly
depends on the development of the pandemic, the availability of
additional funding, and the number of registered on-site/online
participants. When we have all necessary information, we will announce
a more detailed strategy for /ICRS 2021 Hybrid/.

Next Tuesday September 15th, we will announce a related abstract
submission deadline extension. This provides the opportunity to
participate on-site, online, or both, and will give participants the
necessary time to prepare their related new abstracts.

All the best and kind regards from sunny Bremen,
Christian (Wild) on behalf of the organizing committee for ICRS 2020/2021
  Prof. Dr. Christian Wild
Marine Ecology

Faculty of Biology & Chemistry (FB2)
Universität Bremen