[Coral-List] Coral Reefs Conservation

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:35:25 UTC 2020

Angie,

I understand your concern, noticing the difference between Conservation and
Restoration. It is more effective real protection than restoration keeping
local and global threats and destruction.

Blue Economy leaders likes short term projects that promise to save coral
reefs !! Most restoration projects last short and promise to save the
reefs...However, in their small letters of their messages / projects, they
refer that if the projects fáil to be successful them they blame global and
local threats !!

Then, why not to invest for now on in Effective protection ? That is the
most straightforward way !!! In the long run, you will become the new
leader of the real blue economy the sustainable one. The good news is that
it is even less expensive to avoid local threats than to break coral
colonies pretending create friendly artificial environments to create
biodiverse and healthy coral reefs un 500 years, breaking apart the
resilient current ecosystems.

Great opportunity for goverments to fund the effective conservation and
protection of all their coral reefs. It is incredible that still in 2020
some coral reefs are not Effectiveness Protected from local threats !! In
Colombia some coral reefs despite of being reslient and accomplished the
Universal criteria identified for UNESCO, need to be Protected by the
National Goverment. Hopefully ICRI and UNEP can help the Colombian
Government to improve their protection on the Caribbean Hope Spots !!

The 75th Session of the UN General Assembly, with a coalition of partners
have a Global Fund for Coral Reefs seeks to raise and invest USD $500
million in CORAL REEF CONSERVATION over the next 10 years.

Nohora Galvis
Director
Fundación ICRI COLOMBIA Twitter @ArrecifesCoral Instagram
ObservatorioArrecifesCoral Youtube ICRI COLOMBIA y
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA