[Coral-List] First meeting for global creative coral reef action

Franziska Elmer franziskaelmer at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 23 09:01:54 UTC 2020

Dear Corallist,

In November we are planning a global creative coral reef action and would love for as many local groups to participate as possible. The goal of the action is to draw attention towards the challenges coral reefs are facing, specifically climate change but also destruction such as potential placement of oil pipelines through coral reefs. We want to ask governments around the globe to make their new Paris agreement pledges strong enough so that we do not surpass 1.5 C of warming. To get the attention of our governments and media, we want to perform creative, colorful and friendly displays (dance, theater, march etc) in public spaces. If you would like to be part of this action then please join us next Monday 27.9.2020 from 20:00  to 22:00 Jerusalem time (GMT-3) for our first meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87919442018<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fus02web.zoom.us%2Fj%2F87919442018&data=02%7C01%7C%7C2b472c47102f45053efd08d85f99aefe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637364460954179743&sdata=XazDFc5jnaME86o%2Bhlbl7GzG9zr6M7VoZRD0cLXU2bQ%3D&reserved=0> . In this meeting we will discuss the date we want to organize the action, brainstorm possible actions, discuss demands/issues we want to highlight with it and see what skills we have in the team.
If you cannot make the meeting but would like to organize an action locally then please email Franziska (franziskaelmer at hotmail.com). Also please email if you know of a concrete example were a coral reef is being destroyed or at risk of destruction, we would like to list as many places were this is the case and integrate them in our action. Of course it would be very welcome if you organized a local action close to the reef that is at danger.

Best,

Franziska Elmer and Elinor Nadir