[Coral-List] Renewed Call for Manuscripts - Dredging Projects and Coral Reefs

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 02:30:47 UTC 2020

Dear Coral-List

In 2016 I co-chaired a session at the ICRS meeting in Hawaii on Dredging
and Coral Reefs. As an outgrowth of that session, I started to put together
an edited volume on that topic. However, as many of you may have heard I
was diagnosed with late Stage 3 cancer in 2018.  Accordingly, the book I
was compiling on dredging projects and coral reefs took a back seat.  Well
I'm back In the saddle and want to get this volume together and published
sooner than later.

The book will be focused on Coral Reef Conservation and Management related
to Dredging Projects. The publisher will be CRC Press (the same company
that published my book the “Coral Reef Restoration Handbook” back in 2006).

Title: Coral Reef Ecosystem Management: Impacts and Effects of Dredging
William F. Precht <https://bookshop.org/contributors/william-f-precht>
 (Author/Editor)

Product Details
Publisher
CRC Press
Publish Date
Spring/summer 2021
Pages
~385
Language
English
Type
Hardcover
EAN/UPC
9781420078176
BISAC Categories:
Life Sciences - Marine Biology <https://bookshop.org/t/bisac/sci/039000>
While I already have a number of committed  manuscripts, I am securing
additional papers on lessons learned, case histories, as well as review
chapters pertaining to Dredging projects on or near Coral Reefs.  This can
also include coral relocation/restoration projects associated with these
projects, design and implementation of statistically  robust coral
monitoring methods during dredging, adaptive management techniques to
minimize  impacts In real time, sediment/turbidity monitoring, new
technologies (I.e. 3D mosaics, aerial imagery using drones, real time
underwater video camera links, etc.), beneficial use of dredge materials,
offsetting mitigation for primary and secondary impacts, permitting and
legal issues pertaining to dredge programs, dealing with the media, and why
often avoidance and minimization are the best choices to be made in-lieu of
proposed dredging programs. I am also open to other innovative ideas and
topics for inclusion in this book.

I am hoping to receive chapters from the contributing authors by February
2021 and have those reviewed and returned to the authors in March.

All manuscripts in this volume will be rigorously peer reviewed!

The book will be published both in hard copy and electronic form as an
ebook.

All authors (and co-authors) will receive electronic versions of their
chapter(s) and a copy of the hardcover book free of charge. There will be
no page charges or publication fees associated with publication.

Please let me know if you would be interested in participating in this
exciting and timely volume. If yes - please send me the proposed title and
list of  your authors/co-authors.

Please also feel free to share this renewed "call for papers" to any of
your colleagues and peers that might be interested in contributing a
chapter.

Thanks and please stay safe during these crazy COVID days.

Cheers,

Bill

--
William F. Precht

 “You
never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you
have”

Bob
Marley

"Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't
have the strength."

Theodore Roosevelt