[Coral-List] Coral Reef ABT Communication Workshop

Steven L Miller smiller52 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:43:16 UTC 2020

This post is a quick reminder that the Coral Reef ABT Course's
application deadline is near: October 9, 2020.

Several people asked about the optional contribution. Yes, it’s optional
and does not impact participation. Our goal is to include professors,
graduate students, and NGO and government professionals.

If sufficient numbers apply, then we plan to hold a second course,
possibly in December. It’s a great course with fantastic guest speakers.
If you don’t believe me, consider the endorsements from our esteemed
colleagues, below.

“Just wanted to endorse your advertised course (or rather Randy Olson’s
advertised course) being offered through Nova U. The art of
communication is unfortunately not routinely considered an important
part of graduate education in the sciences. We all assume we somehow
know how to communicate our science, but the fact is many of us are
abysmal at doing so. Don’t believe me? Pick up the average journal and
read the average article. Mind-numbing in most instances, yet it should
not be that way. The ABT Framework has helped me and lots of others
become better at telling the stories of our research. And Randy Olson
produces a great course.” Peter Sale

“I also strongly endorse the ABT training course Dr Randy Olson is
offering through NOVA. If we scientists weren't such terrible
communicators, we might be more successful in convincing the public,
policy makers, funders, etc about climate, pollution, etc. Luckily Randy
has the discovered the solution! His ABT training is essential for
scientists and science communicators. I’ve read his books and sat in on
his ABT workshop and it’s both fun and incredibly effective. It changed
the way I speak, teach, and write. Therefore, you should sign up!” John
Bruno

“I have sat in on some sessions, and they are very interesting and
helpful.It requires repetition for it to work - as Randy argues, it is
like going to the gym...well worth the time.”Nancy Knowlton

*Coral Reef ABT (And, But, Therefore) Framework Course Announcement*

*Online November 2 – 23, 2020*

**

Tired of having the media distort your research or message? If you can
get the narrative structure right for your content, then there's a much
better chance the media won't rework it, and that everyone will
understand what you're talking about. The solution lies in the ABT
narrative structure. The ABT Framework is the essential element for
organizing not just your media message, but also the narrative of
proposals, presentations, research papers, entire projects, and campaigns.

Over the past decade, Dr. Randy Olson has developed the ABT Framework to
address the communication challenge, AND his new ABT Framework course is
so popular that it's over-booked. BUT given his former career as a coral
reef ecologist (he was a tenured professor) he's eager to offer a round
of the course, specially for the coral reef community. THEREFORE,
funding for 30 participants is available thanks to Nova Southeastern
University’s Halmos College of Arts and Sciences and the Guy Harvey
Oceanographic Research Center.

The courseis online andopen to graduate students, professors, NGO
professionals, government scientists, and policymakers whose work
involves coral reefs. The course includes ten one-hour sessions and
Working Circles exercises that apply the ABT tools to participant
projects.Active participation is required. The course will be offered
M-W-F (1600 -1700 EST) November 2 – 23, 2020. The first half of each
hour is a presentation. The second half is interactive with Dr. Olson as
he works individually with participants on the ABT Build Process to help
strengthen your narratives.

You can learn more about the ABT framework by viewing the YouTube video
prepared in partnership with the American Association for the
Advancement of Science (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungl-jozHLA).
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungl-jozHLA__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!5VzuGZOSuQiFwie-_x8ENSaUWpLfPaCEtTWQgFOtiatwKy8TGUrp1PuBTf8A5Q$>

If you want to participate, please send an application to Dr. Steven
Miller (smiller at nova.edu <mailto:smiller at nova.edu>) by October 9, 2020.
Space is limited. Please include the following information in a PDF
document:

  * Name
  * Affiliation (graduate students, please include the name of your
    major professor)
  * Address
  * Email
  * Telephone Number
  * Include a short one-paragraph explanation about why you want to take
    the ABT Narrative Template Course.

While the course is free if your application is accepted, a
tax-deductible donation of $100 or $200 is appreciated - but is not
required. Please donate online at
https://realizingpotential.nova.edu/give/index.html
<https://realizingpotential.nova.edu/give/index.html>and select the
Halmos College. In the Comments Section, please add that the donation is
for the Coral Reef ABT Framework Course.