[Coral-List] Sea Secrets Lecture (free/virtual) - Why Are There Colors In The Ocean?

University of Miami RSMAS mps.rsmas at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 13:07:05 UTC 2021

Join us for our last Spring Sea Secrets lecture at the University of
Miami's Rosenstiel School: *Why Are There Colors In The Ocean?* with Derya
Akkaynak, Ph.D. Mechanical Engineer and Oceanographer, Harbor Branch
Oceanographic Institute - Sign up for the lecture here (FREE) which will
take place on *April 13th at 6:30EST*:
https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9p_i1KoJTtKoKDjOu8Jg8A

*Summary of Talk: *The color of ocean water provides us tremendous insights
regarding the properties of the particles in it. Using satellites that
sense ocean color, we are able to monitor worldwide concentration of
phytoplankton—tiny organisms in the water column that produce food for
everything else in the ocean to eat. That ocean water has color, however,
is precisely what is holding us back from unveiling the colors of
everything else, such as the colors of the ocean flora, fauna, and the
unique habitats that host them. What would we learn if we could see the
true colors of everything in the ocean?

Derya Akkaynak is a mechanical engineer and oceanographer at Harbor Branch
Oceanographic Institute. Dr. Akkaynak’s research focuses on problems of
imaging and vision underwater. In addition to using off-the-shelf RGB
cameras for scientific imaging underwater, she also uses hyperspectral
sensors to investigate how the world appears to non-human animals. Derya
has professional, technical, and scientific diving certifications and has
conducted fieldwork from the Bering Sea to Antarctica. Akkaynak is an
honoree for the 2019 Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists in physics &
engineering for her research resolving a fundamental problem in underwater
computer vision—the reconstruction of lost colors and contrast, which led
to the development of the Sea-thru algorithm.
<https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9p_i1KoJTtKoKDjOu8Jg8A>

This will be recorded and we will email everyone at the end who registered.
Any questions, please ask. See you all on Tuesday!

Sincerely,

Josh Coco, Ed. D.
Executive Director, Rosenstiel School
Tel: (305) 421.4002