[Coral-List] 100 Yards of Hope Documentary Premiere on April 27

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 22 16:06:26 UTC 2021

Hi Robin,

While I applaud Force Blue for their efforts in drawing attention to the plight of Florida’s coral reefs, I am concerned about the veracity of the takeaway message being publicly conveyed. I have no doubt that the divers involved are, as you said, dedicated to saving America’s coral reefs, but if that goal is to be achieved it is important to stress that outplanting alone is not enough. My fear is that the messaging is thus fatally flawed by virtue of its brevity. Scientific paper after paper has emphasized the same critical point - that “*reducing stressors is required before significant population growth and recovery will occur”. *Survivorship and growth in staghorn coral (Acropora cervicornis) outplanting projects in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary

You ended your post with the following notation: “*The NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program's mission is to protect, conserve, and restore coral reef resources by maintaining healthy ecosystem function.*” I would argue that in order to achieve this mission (maintaining healthy ecosystem function) it will require more in the way of an emphasis on reducing stressors so that these outplanted corals will have a real chance to survive long-term. Why not clarify this point by adjusting the message to more accurately reflect the scientific consensus? Something along the lines of: While we are working hard (again from the above mentioned paper) “to protect against local extinction and are helping to maintain genetic diversity in the field”, we must not lose sight of the fact that both local and global stressors must be addressed.

On this Earth Day we should all pause to consider what more we can do. In that light, let’s get the word out that restoration provides hope, but long-term success requires that we not shy away from the real issues at hand.

Sincere regards,

Steve Mussman