[Coral-List] MANACO International network - Coral reefs conservation

Stéphane Joost stephane.joost at epfl.ch
Tue Apr 27 20:19:57 UTC 2021

Dear Coral-List,

I send this message to briefly present MANACO, an international network
of coral reef actors bringing together local communities, volunteers and
stakeholders with scientists to improve the conservation of coral reefs.
The focus is to create solidarity and to build a bridge between
indigenous/local knowledge and scientific innovation. For the moment,
the network is mainly active in the South West Pacific region, with a
connection to the Red Sea, and members in Australia and Japan.

More details on the MANACO network can be found here:
https://go.epfl.ch/manaconet

The research carried out until now mainly focuses on seascape genomics
and on how the evolutionary potential of adaptation to heat stress can
be used in conservation planning.

Our initial study was applied to Acropora digitifera in the Ryukyu
Archipelago (Japan):
https://go.epfl.ch/ryukyu

Around New Caledonia, we observed that coral cover surveys corroborate
predictions on reef adaptive potential to thermal stress:
https://go.epfl.ch/surveys

In the same geographic area, we identified molecular markers associated
with heat stress in Acropora millepora, Pocillopora damicornis and
Pocillopora acuta, and we characterized the functional roles of the
genes located in these genomic regions:
https://go.epfl.ch/moltar

We will inform the list of the continuation of the activities of the
MANACO network.

Website: http://manaco.ird.nc/

Thank you for your interest,
Best regards,

--

Dr Stéphane JOOST
Laboratory of Geographic Information Systems