[Coral-List] New study on coral calcification

Manuel ARANDA manuel.aranda at kaust.edu.sa
Wed Apr 28 09:03:54 UTC 2021

Dear fellow coral-listers,

I'd like to draw your attention to our latest paper on the evolution of
coral calcification we just published with our friends from the Centre
Scientifique de Monaco. Briefly, we analyzed the evolution of known coral
calcification genes using a combination of phylogenomics, proteomics, and
immunohistochemistry to find out when they appeared and how they adapted to
the calcification process. Our results suggest that coral calcification did
not require extensive evolutionary innovations but rather few
coral-specific gene duplications and a series of gradual optimization of
ancestral proteins and their co-option to the calcification process.

The publication is Open Access and can be found here:
https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msab103

Best wishes,
Manuel

--

*Manuel Aranda Lastra                                            *
Associate Professor

this email.