[Coral-List] UN outreach and a dangerous trap

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 30 15:50:30 UTC 2021

Hi Franziska,

Although it would be helpful if more coral scientists became climate activists, I would settle for just a bit more in the way of transparency and full disclosure. I believe that almost all coral scientists see climate change as an existential threat to coral reefs, but all too often they sidestep the issue in fear of sounding pessimistic. My main concern is that in a valiant attempt to avoid doom and gloom scientists are inadvertently promoting what amounts to a fantasy scenario whereby coral reefs can be saved without the need to address causation. Although most academics may feel uncomfortable crossing the line into activism, the papers they publish seem to be much more audacious and bold. Coral scientists seem to be openly willing to take on climate change and other stressors in their peer-reviewed publications while all too often many of the projects they are involved in publicly promote a different, less straightforward directive. So while becoming an climate activist is admirable, I’d settle for a little more consistency. Acknowledging and driving home the seriousness of the threats to coral reefs is not doom and gloom. It is perhaps the last best chance we have to avoid a ecological disaster. Restoration efforts have done wonders in raising consciousness of plight of coral reefs, now let’s finish the drill by not shying away from telling the whole story.

Regards,

Steve Mussman