[Coral-List] REEF is hiring a Program Engagement Coordinator
christy at reef.org
Mon Aug 9 21:02:38 UTC 2021
August 9, 2021 - Please share widely in your networks, applications for the position due August 22, 2021
Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF), a non-profit marine conservation organization with citizen science, education, and research programs, seeks to hire a full-time Program Engagement Coordinator to join our dedicated team. This is a full-time, entry level position. The new staff member will be based at the REEF Campus in Key Largo, FL (US) and with a desired start date of September 1, 2021.
The portfolio of tasks under this entry-level position is broad and the staff member will work across many aspects of this grassroots, busy, and impactful non-profit organization. Projects will be dynamic throughout the year and priority tasks for the position include overseeing REEF’s in-person events, supporting education and outreach efforts, assisting with the REEF Field Survey Trips Program, and supporting day-to-day activity at the REEF Campus.
The successful candidate enjoys working as part of a collaborative, distributed team, is detail-oriented, organized, passionate about ocean conservation, thrives on variety, and takes initiative to ensure projects are managed effectively. We are looking for someone interested in staying with the organization for 3-5 years or more, to gain an understanding of the inner workings of a non-profit organization. We anticipate that this role will be an opportunity to establish a strong foothold for a career in marine conservation, citizen science, education and outreach.
The Program Engagement Coordinator will oversee REEF’s broad portfolio of events including annual, in-person, multi-day events such as REEF Fest, the Florida Keys Lionfish Derby & Festival, and REEF by the Sea, an invitation-only donor event. Other events include a monthly seminar and social gathering called Fish & Friends, field and/or classroom-based education programs for groups, and other community outreach activities. Additionally, REEF attends numerous festivals and trade shows each year and organizes online programs and capacity-building efforts such as the Fish Out of Water Virtual 5K.
The Program Engagement Coordinator will also assist with the timely and accurate execution of the REEF Field Survey Trips Program, an eco-travel initiative to engage and educate divers and snorkelers in citizen science activities. The annual program schedule includes 10-15 Field Survey Trips conducted worldwide and led by REEF ocean experts.
The Program Engagement Coordinator will assist with field logistics and operations for the new Size Matters: Individual Length Estimate (SMILE) Project, launching in fall 2021. SMILE is a companion initiative to the longstanding Volunteer Fish Survey Project (VFSP). As part of this expanded citizen science effort, REEF will deploy stereo-video camera systems during roving diver surveys obtain size data on select ecologically important species.
The position’s responsibilities will be allocated between four main program areas below. Priority tasks and duties will include, but are not limited to, the following responsibilities:
Public Event Planning and Coordination:
· Support program staff in managing and overseeing REEF’s portfolio of in-person programs.
· Assist with event logistics leading up to and during events, managing event sponsors, and creating/maintaining detailed event records.
· Support planning and facilitation of REEF Fest and the Florida Keys Lionfish Derby & Festival, both are multifaceted four day events with over 300 participants at each.
· Assist with organization of REEF by the Sea, an annual weekend donor appreciation event.
· Coordinate logistics for trade shows and other industry events, such as the Diving Equipment and Marketing Association.
· Plan and facilitate public events at the REEF Campus, such as the monthly Fish & Friends seminar series.
General REEF Campus Support and Education / Outreach:
· Assist with organization, logistics and evaluation of REEF Ocean Explorers Education Programs, including Summer Camp, Expeditions, Discovery Programs, Virtual Field Trips, and other education programs as needed.
· Facilitate in-person and virtual REEF education programs with students and other groups.
· Work with other staff, interns and volunteers to coordinate community outreach and education efforts.
· Participate in and/or conduct outreach programs at the REEF Campus and throughout the Florida Keys and South Florida.
· Maintain a high standard of marine life identification and teaching skills.
REEF Field Survey Trips Program:
· Assist with trip inquiries and bookings via email, phone, and in-person communication, tracking trip payments and other financial details.
· Support trip leaders in advance of each Field Survey Trip by coordinating communication with trip participants, facilitating the leaders’ needs at the trip destination, and assisting trip leaders with post-trip follow-up with participants and data management.
Conservation Science Programs:
· Assist with execution of SMILE Pilot Project funded by Fish and Wildlife Foundation of Florida, including field testing of units, organization of charter boat days and field team, and development of training materials.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher, and relevant work experience
· Proficiency with desktop computers and office software
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Positive attitude and high aptitude for working as a self-starter in a fast-paced, non-profit organization
· Detail-oriented and thorough, with strong organizational skills and an ability to follow through on tasks
· Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability and willingness to work in a diverse and collaborative team who is distributed across multiple physical locations and disciplines
· A strong interest in ocean life, marine conservation, citizen science, and snorkeling or diving is a plus
Position Term, Compensation, Work Environment
This is a full-time, entry level position with a salary commensurate with experience. REEF offers a competitive and generous benefits package. Benefits include contribution towards health insurance, accrued paid time off (PTO), option for flex-time work weeks, and 8 holiday days per year. US and international travel may be required, as well as some weekend, holiday, and after-hours work. The position will be based at the REEF Campus in Key Largo, Florida. The position will work closely with the REEF team and report primarily to Martha Klitzkie, Co-Executive Director, who is based remotely.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as one integrated PDF document to Martha Klitzkie, Co-Executive Director, martha at REEF.org <mailto:martha at REEF.org> –with “REEF PROGRAM ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR” in the subject line of the email. Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET), August 22, 2021. Desired start date before October 1, 2021.
The REEF Campus, in Key Largo, Florida (US), with an Interpretive Center and nature trails, serves as an educational center for visitors and groups. It is also the Headquarters for supporting REEF’s international programs and worldwide membership. REEF maintains a physical and online store of field supplies, reference ID books, and REEF branded merchandise.
REEF conserves marine environments worldwide. Our mission is to protect biodiversity and ocean life by actively engaging and inspiring the public through citizen science, education, and partnerships with the scientific community. REEF programs include marine life education, field research, and one of the largest citizen science programs in the world through unique partnerships with private, governmental, scientific, and educational sectors. REEF’s programs directly benefit and help to protect marine life worldwide.
REEF was founded in 1990 as a way to educate scuba divers and snorkelers in marine life identification and to utilize their marine life sightings. Patterned after the successful Audubon and Cornell birding programs, REEF has grown into a 74,000-plus member organization with programs in place globally. Primary among these programs is the Volunteer Fish Survey Project, enabling marine enthusiasts to conduct surveys and submit sightings data from oceans worldwide. Data are managed by REEF staff and made available to researchers, scientists, managers, and the public free of charge via REEF’s online database at www.REEF.org <http://www.reef.org/>. To date, more than 255,000 marine life surveys have been submitted.
In addition to the Volunteer Fish Survey Project, REEF maintains a large and active diver education program with standardized course materials for each of its survey regions. Strong partnerships within the diving industry and effective outreach provide opportunities for thousands of divers to learn about marine life and take part in surveying activities throughout the year. REEF’s other key programs include the Grouper Moon Project – researching grouper spawning aggregations; the Invasive Species Program – tracking the impact and control of non-native marine fish species, particularly the human-induced invasion of Indo-Pacific lionfish into the Tropical West Atlantic; and Special Projects – assessing fish population changes in and around marine reserves and in the areas of newly developed artificial reefs. REEF also offers Explorers Education Programs for student groups to engage in field survey and data gathering expeditions, hosts numerous public events and manages several recurring communications streams such as monthly electronic newsletters. REEF maintains strong partnerships with federal, state, and local government agencies as well as other US-based and international agencies, NGOs, and business entities.
REEF is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Christy Pattengill-Semmens, Ph.D. (she/hers)
Co-Executive Director: Science & Engagement
Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)
Protecting Marine Life Through Education, Service, and Research
Join us for REEF Fest 2021
An Annual Celebration of Marine Conservation
Oct. 14-17 | Key Largo, Florida
More information about the Coral-List