[Coral-List] A Very Useful Report (Douglas Fenner)

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 04:17:38 UTC 2021

     A quick search on Wikipedia led me to an article on "Human Impact on
Environment" which has a subheading for "Military."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_impact_on_the_environment#Military
     And I quote "General military spending and military activities have
marked environmental effects.[230]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_impact_on_the_environment#cite_note-:0-230>
The
United States military is considered one of the worst polluters in the
world, responsible for over 39,000 sites contaminated with hazardous
materials.[231]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_impact_on_the_environment#cite_note-231>
"  But on the other hand, it also says "There are several examples of
militaries aiding in land management, conservation, and greening of an area.
[235]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_impact_on_the_environment#cite_note-235>
Additionally,
certain military technologies have proven extremely helpful for
conservationists and environmental scientists.[236]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_impact_on_the_environment#cite_note-236>
"
       Although I do not claim to have any expertise on military matters, I
know of a few examples involving coral reefs.  One from Hawaii is
that Kaneohe Bay on the north shore of Oahu, Hawaii, long had the sewage
outfalls from both the town there and the military base there, releasing
directly into the bay.  Degradation of the bay was well documented.  Then
both sewage outfalls were diverted to outside the bay, and the bay
improved.  A second instance is at the US military base on Wake Island in
the Pacific.  The Commander does not allow fishing.  It has been documented
to have the largest population of bumphead parrotfish in US waters.  When I
was there, I did not see any sharks until we rolled off the boat at one
spot and were surrounded by grey reef sharks quite close.  I started
counting as I started descending towards the reef.  I counted 40 sharks in
sight at one time.  There aren't a lot of places in the world where there
are people and that many reef sharks left.
       I fully support the recognition of damaging effects of military on
coral reefs (and the environment in general), as well as any helpful
effects.  I favor transparency and letting the cards fall where they may.
Does anybody know of a review of military effects on coral reefs?  I can't
think of one offhand.
       Cheers,  Doug

Coral reefs in *Kaneohe Bay*, Hawaii: two centuries of western influence
and two decades of data
<https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/1995/00000057/00000002/art00014>

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/1995/00000057/00000002/art00014?crawler=true&casa_token=MhT5eewolN0AAAAA:8R1o4rTipp6Cl-x2wril54vEd2LVgf0sbN3k_iWoDJZwWbFGlpLYvoRrjK2m1LVC_h9R-mYr3_RxtFqPvFko

Open-access

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 6:20 AM Katherine via Coral-List <