[Coral-List] Criteria for ICRS Awards - is this who we are?

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Mon Dec 13 18:13:53 UTC 2021

Fellow members of ICRS,
For the sake of all the gods of the sea, can we not take the original observation that started this chain as it was intended: membership in ICRS has costs which some outside the G20 may find more difficult to afford, therefore should those people be excluded from awards?  It's a simple question, directed not to coral-list but to the leadership of ICRS.  Coral-list does not have to debate it.  Secondly, do we members of ICRS have so little faith in our leadership that we assume they will treat their award criteria so rigidly, so inflexibly, so immutably that they would be used to exclude potential winners?

I would also point out that ICRS membership costs are scaled to at least partially correct for wealth differences among nations.  Few scientific societies do this.
Peter Sale
www.petersalebooks.com<http://www.petersalebooks.com>
sale at uwindsor.ca<mailto:sale at uwindsor.ca>