[Coral-List] ICRS Awards Criteria

Carly Randall C.Randall at aims.gov.au
Tue Dec 14 09:46:33 UTC 2021

Dear Kristen and Coral-Listers,

On behalf of the ICRS Awards Committee, thank you for raising your concerns about the membership requirements for ICRS Awards. We appreciate the points all of you have raised, and as a direct result, the Awards Committee has convened off schedule to review these requirements and discuss what changes to make. The committee has the authority to make these changes following a vote among elected officers and council members, which we can do remotely via email in time for the upcoming round of awards in early 2022. The changes, once voted upon, will be provided to members via the internal ICRS membership list, the CoralList, and posted on the ICRS website.

In the meantime, please note that we do allow for the consideration of career breaks and other extenuating circumstances in meeting the application criteria, and these exemptions can apply both to membership criteria and to career output, and these considerations can be described in the applicant's nomination letter. We offer 12 awards, 3 of which do not require any membership, and others which have varying requirements (from 1 - 10 yr), but as said above we are reconsidering them for several awards. For more information please visit our website http://coralreefs.org/awards-and-honors/early-career-award/<https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcoralreefs.org%2Fawards-and-honors%2Fearly-career-award%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cc.randall%40aims.gov.au%7C114e8a07567a4c71cd5d08d9be980cc2%7Ce054a73b40dc4ae39fce60c537aa6fac%7C0%7C0%7C637750382590541841%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=98cSaiXgKAEUqd6YBEVqK1uaX8Z975U6Ex2x5d9hy5U%3D&reserved=0> and as always, please reach out to me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Carly Randall
Chair, ICRS Awards Committee