[Coral-List] Pledge to Stop Dredging on #Seaflower MAB @UNESCO

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:53:29 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

Ten days ago, we published our official petition to the Colombian President
Ivan Duque to stop dredging on coral reefs area that was already impacted
by Hurricane Iota Category 5.

Until now we received an official replied from the Presidency, assigning to
the Authority of National Environmental Licenses to reply why they are
allowing dredging with a license two years before the Hurricane, without
updated bathymetry and without ecological characterization after Iota.

The only message received from the Coral- list was from David Blakeway to
require the license. Here is the license from July 18 2018:

http://portal.anla.gov.co/sites/default/files/res_1105_18072018_ct_3744.pdf

Last week a commission from ANLA went to visit the Dredging Project to
follow its activities....based on our request to review it. All the
background has changed after Hurricane Iota....

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3663764350326267&id=317788734923862

The main objective to make deeper this channel, one month after Iota, it is
not very clear. Even the interested in dredging know that after a climate
change major event, depths, underwater currents and underwater biota have
been affected. It is not wise to start a project without updated
información.  Even we had in november reports that some dive sites were
deeper 5-4 meters after Iota.

The channel has been accessible after Iota. Therefore, it was not necessary
to do it when the ecosisystem integrity may be even harmed more than
considered before the Hurricane Iota.  The dredging project is completing
more than 100000 m3 sand extraction ande deposition without the previous
process of community consultation, the objective was hidden on the
Solidarity efforts to "Rebuild Providence".  The social compensation
projects are at very financial cost.

We are working following the procedure of the Coral Reefs Observatory
within our citizen science program.