[Coral-List] algae bloom in Kiribati

David Blakeway fathom5marineresearch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 05:12:47 UTC 2021

Hi Andy,
It may be the 'sea sparkle' dinoflagellate *Noctiluca*.
It apparently does well in low-oxygen conditions, which are likely in such
an enclosed lagoon as Kiribati.
*Noctiluca *information here:
https://earthdata.nasa.gov/learn/sensing-our-planet/winter-blooms-in-the-arabian-sea
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/23/the-killer-algae-making-hong-kongs-water-glow/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-79152-x

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 9:23 AM Andrew Halford via Coral-List <