[Coral-List] Southwestern Atlantic corals are able to spawn while fully bleached

Leandro Godoy godoyufrgs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:26:41 UTC 2021

In the recently published paper in Marine Biology, we describe the
unprecedented episode of corals spawning when entirely bleached.

Study was carried out by the Coral Vivo Research Network in the Northeast
coast of Brazil. We compared spermatozoa concentration and motility, egg
diameter and embryo viability between healthy and bleached colonies of
*Mussismilia
harttii* and *M. hispida*. Our findings show that both species spawned
viable gametes, since fertilization and larval development took place,
supporting the suggestion of greater resilience for Southwestern Atlantic
corals.

*To read the full paper use the link:* https://rdcu.be/cd0lS

Kind regards,

Prof. Leandro Godoy