[Coral-List] Save Red Med

Elinor Nadir elinornadir at mail.tau.ac.il
Sun Feb 14 09:53:50 UTC 2021

Hello, I wanted to bring up the situation in Eilat again - if anyone didn't
see previously, there is a plan to transport oil from the gulf states
through Eilat and Ashkelon to Europe, severely endangering the northern red
sea as well as the mediterranean.  The infrastructure for this is supposed
to go through the outdated infrastructure of the EAPC, which already had a
massive oil spill in 2014 in the Evrona nature reserve.  At the scale they
are planning to move oil, it is not a matter of if, but when, the next oil
spill will happen.  The rare and climate-resistant corals of the gulf of
Aqaba are only a few hundred meters from these facilities, and further
damage will eradicate them. (further info in the scientists' letter, link
below)

Previously, we sent a Scientists' letter to be signed directly, which was
rather inconvenient.  We now have an updated website that allows easy
signing of both the scientist letter (for those with a PhD) and the general
petition.  Please sign and pass on to your colleagues and friends.  Help us
save the Gulf and the Red Sea by openly opposing this plan. The day after
disaster there will be nothing to save.

link to scientists' letter:
https://saveredmed.org/scientists-letter-english/
homepage of the petition: https://saveredmed.org/english/

Thanks to all of you for your support so far,
--Elinor Nadir