[Coral-List] "assisted evolution"

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 16 14:26:22 UTC 2021

Hi Doug,

Interesting article and a fascinating topic.

I’ve often wondered if the coral science community has given ample consideration to the possibility that “assisted evolution” could do more harm than good. Seems to me that all the momentum favors moving forward for as the article points out, “as the border between the natural and manmade blurs, gene editing animals to protect them may become increasingly appealing”- making the question you raised, (how far should we go to help species adapt?) both a crucial and precarious one.

Regards,

Steve Mussman