[Coral-List] climate change worse than we thought

David Blakeway fathom5marineresearch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 03:32:17 UTC 2021

Well we gotta retain hope don't we Alina? (And you do right?).

The world's focus on GDP growth is a big problem, especially as it's
COMPOUND growth. If only a financial leader - someone like Christine
Lagarde - would come out against it. Wishful thinking maybe, but such
'poacher turned gamekeeper' types can have a big influence, because of
their profile and because they understand their systems inside out. For
example Richard Vevers, the former advertising executive who created the
Chasing Coral documentary.
Here are some relevant stories if you have time. Maybe preaching to the
converted here but IMO these should be required junior school reading: an
anecdote concerning the lowering of productivity
<https://www.uni-hildesheim.de/media/_migrated/content_uploads/Translating_Heinrich_Boell.pdf>
and how much land does a man need?
<http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6157/6157-h/6157-h.htm#link2H_4_0016>

The Atlantic article that Karl found is a great long-term context for where
we are now:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/03/extreme-climate-change-history/617793/
It
is long but there's an audio link.

What gives me hope is young scientists like this:
https://andrewsmaurer.wordpress.ncsu.edu/ His attitude seems exemplary of a
new cohort of graduate students and that's very encouraging. We need to
graft that attitude into students of economics and politics somehow.