[Coral-List] Coral reefs and etnomathematics

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 15:09:55 UTC 2021

Dear Vassil,

Etnomathematics is relevant when evaluating conservation effectiveness. In
fact, the difference between our case studies in Varadero Reef and
Providence Reefs is also based on the cultural values respected by the law
of Previous Consultation.

The seven fishers communities around Varadero Reef presented legal
requirements to stop dredging plans. On the other hand, in Providence,
government imposition of old unsustainable development projects taking
advantage of the declaration of Environmental Disaster, combined with the
feelings of impotence of the fisher communities after the Hurricane Iota.
Otherwise, their own community representatives would have been more
empowered to avoid further environmental disaster. Until now >50% dredging
is going on. We still hope the Public Ministry stop it, according to the
request of our Coral Reefs Observatory joint with the local Civil Citizen
oversight <https://context.reverso.net/traduccion/ingles-espanol/oversight>