[Coral-List] A student's guide to the h-index

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 16:16:07 UTC 2021

Dear David,

Nice to start 2021, giving free advice to students on how to become more
influential to improve Coral Reef Protection Effectiveness. However, if you
are going to mention only GOOGLE SCHOLAR then you leave behind the
scientists who have chosen better Researchgate.

I am of course on Researchgate, because it allows to include research
findings that are not just published on indexed magazines. Therefore other
scientists can not ignore the existence of goverment reports, previous
local publications and background research. Thus, avoiding the research
flaw of claiming Fake Originality!!

In my experience, to become influential you have to become activist and be
coherent leading by example. You can not go claiming dredging is bad for
coral reefs when you were hired a year ago with millions to allow dredging
Varadero reef !!

A letter that I requested to the past director of the Society for
Conservation Biology addressed in 2016, to the President Santos in
Colombia, along with my talk at the United Nations during the Ocean
Conference 2017 and at ICCB 2017 did helped a lot to stop the planning of
dredging Varadero Reef. Those plans began in 1990 and the fishers
communities went striked ever since. I just received a letter from the
National Natural Parks Officers informing their plans to include Varadero
 Reef within the boundaries of the Corales del Rosario National Park as
well as the other case study Coral Reefs Capurgana-Cabo Tiburon to be
included in the Sanctuary Playona, both are Hope Spots since IYOR  2018
Declared by Mission Blue and being evaluated for nomination as World
Heritage Sites at the Colombian Committee for UNESCO.

To improve local governance, it is relevant to involve in our research,
environmental campaigns and activities to the local artisanal fishers and
local scuba diving operators who visit every day the case studies and
suroundings

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/314153451_Galvis_N_H_y_RH_Galvis_2016_Colombian_citizen_science_to_improve_coral_reef_conservation_Citizen_Science_Proceedings_International_Coral_Reef_Session_88_606-619

To know more about our achievements follow us on Fundación ICRI COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral / @ICRIcolombia Instagram
ObservatorioArrecifesCoral Youtube ICRI COLOMBIA y
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA #OceanAction14819