[Coral-List] Octopus punches fishes

Ivan Steward ivansteward at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 18:52:45 UTC 2021

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for sharing.

I'm unable to link the post here as it's from a Linkedin upload I was sent
by a colleague, but, RPS were doing some recent marine survey work for the
Star of the South project and setup a BRUV.

There is video of an octopus that took up temporary residence on the end of
the apparatus. The video shows the octopus reaching out and 'hugging' a
passing shark - fully immobilising it for a good minute before letting go.
Several other fish/squid are seen getting involved as well, it's quite an
interesting/comical scene.

You can probably do a search for it, or find RPS on LinkedIn to view (or I
can forward to you there if interested).

Remarkable animals for sure.

Cheers,
Ivan

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020, 00:16 Eduardo Sampaio via Coral-List, <