[Coral-List] Citizen science reef transect methods

David Blakeway fathom5marineresearch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 04:05:21 UTC 2021

Tom's great 1995 videos and others like them are obviously valuable
historical records.
Can someone please point me to current best-practice recommendations for
citizen science video reef transect survey techniques?
In the case of Tom's Sulawesi fringing reefs, his technique of multiple
cross-reef transects from shore to depth, georeferenced, seems very solid.
I hope the reefs still look as good 25 years later, and I'm optimistic;
these turbid reefs are tough. Sulawesi/Borneo logging and palm oil are
disastrous and depressing though. And meanwhile in Amazonia, logging and
development are closing in on the world's last uncontacted indigenous
societies: https://peerj.com/articles/cs-170/
It's a very very mad world.
Also, philosophical ranting is now OVER (sorry about all that)
Dave