[Coral-List] Spring Sea Secrets Lectures (FREE and virtual) - University of Miami's Rosenstiel School

University of Miami RSMAS mps.rsmas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 15:45:32 UTC 2021

Join us for our 2021 Sea Secrets lecture series at the University of
Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (virtual and
free)! Sign-ups under each take below!

   1. *Nikki Traylor Knowles, Ph.D. discusses “The Mysteries of Coral
   Ecoimmunity”*
      - Dr. Traylor-Knowles uses cutting edge medical technology to study
      the immune systems of corals to discover the unique and
surprising ways in
      which corals combat disease and identify friend from foe. Her work is
      contributing to the fight to save coral reefs and insure that we
have these
      ecosystems in the future.
      - Tuesday, January 26th at 6:30pm EST
      - Click here
      <https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MAEQbylvQ4KJNufev3LeZA> to
      register!

   1. *CIMAS Scientists with “From the Deepest Oceans to the Highest
   Clouds”*
      - Situated in close proximity to NOAA’s Atlantic Oceanographic and
      Meteorological Laboratory, National Hurricane Center, and South Eastern
      Fisheries Science Center, The Cooperative Institute for Marine and
      Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS) provides mission-critical support to programs
      such as NOAA’s Hurricane Hunters, the Argo ocean monitoring program,
      cutting-edge aquaculture research, and marine mammal conservation. Four
      CIMAS scientists and researchers will provide a sampling of some of these
      exciting ongoing research and development projects.
      - Tuesday, February 9th at 6:30pm EST
      - Click here
      <https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qVuj01YkRD2Lbp7NddmBLQ> to
      register!

      2. *Katharine Mach, Ph.D. discusses “Climate Change 2021: Managing
   Floods, Heat, and Fires to Keep People and Nature Safe”*
      - The impacts of climate change are now widespread, and societies
      around the world are increasingly preparing for shocks to economies,
      health, well-being, and beyond. Dr. Katharine Mach will present research
      from the climate risks and preparedness group focused on ongoing
      investments to safeguard societies. This work integrates understanding of
      the complex, cascading climate risks now occurring, from
nuisance floods to
      disasters. It critically assesses policies and actions to
support vibrant,
      resilient pathways into the future.
      - Tuesday, March 9th at 6:30pm EST
      - Click here
      <https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_FdZ_aOffRISanAu2sKiBEA> to
      register!

   1. *Diego Lirman, Ph.D. and Andrew Baker Ph.D. discuss “Restoring
   Florida’s Coral Reefs: From Colonies to Coastlines”*
      - Healthy coral reef ecosystems underpin Florida’s tourism economy,
      support vital commercial and recreational fisheries, and help protect our
      shorelines from the devastating impacts of storm surge and coastal
      flooding. But these iconic ecosystems have undergone dramatic declines in
      recent years. Professors Lirman and Baker are working together to restore
      these precious local ecosystems and the valuable services they provide
      using a combination of new and established restoration
approaches aimed to
      not only recover depleted reefs but also increase the climate
resilience of
      restored coral populations.
      - Tuesday, March 30th at 6:30pm EST
      - Click here
      <https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_gqP8BAo8QKi8wsaeJWjC7g> to
      register!

      2. *Derya Akkaynak, Ph.D. discusses “Why are There Colors in the
   Ocean”*
      - The color of ocean water provides us tremendous insights regarding
      the properties of the particles in it. Using satellites that sense ocean
      color, we are able to monitor worldwide concentration of
phytoplankton—tiny
      organisms in the water column that produce food for everything
else in the
      ocean to eat. That ocean water has color, however, is precisely what is
      holding us back from unveiling the colors of everything else, such as the
      colors of the ocean flora, fauna, and the unique habitats that host them.
      What would we learn if we could see the true colors of everything in the
      ocean?
      - Tuesday, April 13th at 6:30pm EST
      - Click here
      <https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9p_i1KoJTtKoKDjOu8Jg8A> to