[Coral-List] zoox question

tomascik at novuscom.net tomascik at novuscom.net
Thu Jan 7 21:27:35 UTC 2021

Hi Alex,

There are very few papers out there that actually looked at this, but
David Krupp's paper from way back in 1983 comes to mind

(Krupp, D.A. Sexual reproduction and early development of the solitary
coral Fungia scutaria (Anthozoa: Scleractinia). Coral Reefs 2, 159–164
(1983). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00336722).

When it comes to broadcast spawning corals infection with zooxanthellae
is probably species-specific. According to Krupp (1983) Fungia scutaria
zooxanthellae infection occurs about 5 days after spawning, but the
planulae settle after 7 days.

I would also like to point out that even in brooding coral species
zooxanthellae infections differ, because is some species like Porites
porites the zooxanthellae are incorporated into eggs before the eggs are
fertilized. In majority of other broadcast spawning corals the
zooxanthellae infection occur after the planulae develop.  You may find
the following papers of interest:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259287222_Effects_of_eutrophication_on_reef_building_corals_Part_III_Reproduction_of_the_reef_building_coral_Porites_Pallas

For an in-depth review of coral reproduction have a look at:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284044067_Reproduction_dispersal_and_recruitment_of_scleractinian_corals_Ecosystems_of_the_world_25_Coral_Reefs?_sg=VKL0gWBkpyL80ggOOXBsf55FyMuAaRKFhryJ6mhIH8zPi5LiOcps2LAArun2XKpjeXxrulkYVOS10il82NBaboQht0AOjvS3UoXOGxLZ.59azFiDfheRby-e4NDNo1B9xIuywgwyB9I58Uow43L0fUrYGntPKFzdLWSPxE4OVyMKkRQE9Rg0GZJiW_3SidQ

My apology if you already have these references.

Cheers
Tom