[Coral-List] Sea Secrets Lecture (free/virtual) - The Mysteries of Coral Ecoimmunity - Dr. Nikki Traylor-Knowles

University of Miami RSMAS mps.rsmas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:45:31 UTC 2021

Join us for our Spring Sea Secrets lectures at the University of Miami's
Rosenstiel School: *The Mysteries of Coral Ecoimmunity with Dr. Nikki
Traylor-Knowles* - Sign up for the lecture here (FREE) which will take
place on January 26th at 6:30EST:
https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MAEQbylvQ4KJNufev3LeZA

Summary of Talk: The Covid-19 pandemic has brought the human immune system
to the forefront of our collective consciousness, and while corals do not
suffer from Covid-19, they do have an immune system that we desperately
need to understand because they are affected by many other diseases. Dr.
Traylor-Knowles uses cutting edge medical technology to study the immune
systems of corals to discover the unique and surprising ways in which
corals combat disease and identify friend from foe. Her work is
contributing to the fight to save coral reefs and insure that we have these
ecosystems in the future.

Nikki Traylor-Knowles, Ph.D., is a cell biologist that studies the
evolution of immunity, wound healing, and regeneration of cnidarians, a
group of over 9,000 marine species which includes corals, jellyfish, sea
anemones sea whips, and fans. Her lab uses techniques from cell biology,
genomics, microbiology, and molecular biology to study the cnidarian innate
immune system and its interaction with climate change and other
human-induced stressors. Traylor-Knowles is interested in the application
of these techniques to conservation efforts through the development of
biomarkers for predicting health outcomes in corals in the face of climate
change and disease.

<https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MAEQbylvQ4KJNufev3LeZA>

This will be recorded and we will email everyone at the end who registered.
Any questions, please ask. See you all on Tuesday!

Sincerely,

Josh Coco, Ed. D.
Executive Director, Rosenstiel School
Tel: (305) 421.4002