[Coral-List] Help us solve a fish DNA mystery

Luke Thompson - NOAA Affiliate luke.thompson at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 28 20:39:52 UTC 2021

Hi all,

In a recent eDNA survey conducted on the RSMAS dock, we (Luke Thompson and Sean Anderson) recovered DNA and amplified and sequenced the 12S rRNA gene (metabarcoding). When we analyzed the DNA sequences, many of the fish names made sense, but some don't seem to belong in Miami. Exhibit A: rainbow trout. It's a mystery!

If you are familiar with the fish seen around Miami waters, please consider helping us identify what these fish sequences are and where they might be coming from. We’ve created a survey here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScHfcXo3zBaPo-387A5K-xlQ8h77aEFrGHtGmVRiRBm6biHAQ/viewform?usp=sf_link <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScHfcXo3zBaPo-387A5K-xlQ8h77aEFrGHtGmVRiRBm6biHAQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>

Please distribute widely. Thanks for your help!

Luke & Sean

--
Luke R. Thompson, Ph.D.
Associate Research Professor