[Coral-List] Transplanting coral fragments

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Sun Jul 4 20:33:05 UTC 2021

I read with interest the comments about viability of coral fragments for
reef restoration.I can’t resist commenting and describing some
observations made before 95% of those on the coral list were born.

As a young technician with a 16 ft. outboard boat I became friends with
and provided services to Dr. Edward Hoffmister and Dr. Grey Multer who
conducted some transplant and growth rate studies in 1959. For their
study I did the diving, and transplanting of their coral fragments. The
study was conducted in about 4 m of water near the lighthouse at
Carysfort Reef off Key Largo Florida. We cemented fragments of A.
cervicornis and small heads of /Montastrea annularis/ to 12-inch square
concrete tiles that I pinned to the bottom with iron rebar. On
approximately monthly intervals I would bring up the tiles so Hoffmister
and Multer could make growth measurements and photograph the corals
aboard my boat. The corals were out of the water for about 10 minutes
before being replaced on the bottom. The corals remained healthy
throughout the experiments. Most of those tiles are still there today.

Learning from and helping these two famous researchers inspired me to do
my own growth rate experiments. What I did was conducted entirely
underwater. I broke fairly large colonies from a parent colony that was
part of a huge thicket of live /cervicornis/.The colonies were
transported in seawater filled cooler to two sites closer to shore. One
clump was placed in Hawk Channel about halfway to shore and the other to
a hard bottom site in 2 m of water near Garden Cove a few hundred meters
from shore. I simply jammed the latter colony into a large loggerhead
sponge and affixed a maximum/minimum thermometer incased in a clear
plastic tube to the bottom. A plastic ring was placed on the branches 10
cm from the growing tip. At monthly intervals I made measurements on how
much the tips had grown relative to the plastic ring. Measurements were
conducted both on the parent colony and the transplanted colony. The
details of the study can be read at (Shinn 1966). The point of this
simple experiment was to determine why /A. cervicornis/ does not grow
near shore anywhere in the Florida Keys.To my surprise the transplanted
colony in shallow near-shore water grew at the same rate as the offshore
parent colony during the months when my thermometers indicated water
temperature were essentially the same at both sites. However, during the
middle of summer when near-shore water exceeded 90 degrees C the upper
surface of the colony bleached but did not die. Those corals regained
color when temperature became lower. However, in February a cold front
lowered water temperature to 13 degrees C the corals died. This simple
study had determined what the experiment was intended to show. Reduced
winter water temperature in the shallow waters near shore prevents
growth of /A. cervicornis/ in the Florida Keys. My friend, Dr. Tom
Goreau, then director of the Discovery Bay Lab in Jamaica encouraged me
to publish this simple unfunded study. There was of course concern that
jamming the transplant colony into a large sponge was an unacceptable
way to fix a coral colony to the bottom, However, the observation that
the transplant grew at the same rate as the offshore parent colony when
water temperature was nearly the same suggested the sponge had little
effect on the transplants growth rate. One needs to remember that
outside of people like Tom Goreau no one else was doing transplant
studies anywhere in the Caribbean. To my surprise that simple little
paper was made lead article in the next issue of the Journal of
Paleontology. Years later I was sent to Australia to present that that
simple little study to the Great Barrier reef hearings that had been
ongoing for the past 2 years. I spent 2.5 days in the witness box
answering questions. Amazingly still no one had yet conducted such
simple straightforward transplant studies.

There were also straightforward observations such as the coral reef
destruction created by hurricane Donna in 1960. That storm completely
wiped out the /A cervicornis/ thicket that supplied the parent coral for
the transplant experiment describe above. Hurricane Donna (See Ball et
al 1967) scattered fragments over a large area on the leeward side of
Grecian Rocks reef. At the time we all assumed the scattered fragments
in the back reef sand would all die.To our great surprise most fragments
began to grow and 5 years later any diver not aware of the former
thicket would not recognize the enlarged living A. /cervicornis/ area
had been created by a hurricane. (Shinn, 1970) Today however, there is
no living /A. cervicornis/ thicket at Grecian Rocks Reef. The site of
the parent colony for the transplant study described in my 1966 paper no
longer exists. The entire thicket of /A cervicornis/ became diseased in
the late 1970s and died in 1983, the same year most Acroporid corals
died throughout the Caribbean. The timing of those coral deaths is shown
in the USGS sequence photos at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIzLTi0HGs
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIzLTi0HGs>__

__

*References:*__

Shinn, E.A., 1966, Coral growth rate, an environmental indicator:
Journal of Paleontology, v. 40, no. 2, p. 233-240.

Ball, M.M., Shinn, E.A., and Stockman, K.W., 1967, The geologic effects
of Hurricane Donna in south Florida: Journal of Geology, v. 75, no. 5,
p. 556-591.

Shinn, E.A., 1976, Coral reef recovery in Florida and the Persian Gulf:
Environmental Geology, v. 1, p. 241-254.

I would be the first to admit that these unsophisticated self-funded
studies would be unacceptable in today’s technical world. However, no
one was attempting this kind of work at the time and no funding agency
would fund such work. This was a time when diving related work barely
existed and computers were far in the future. However, as simple as it
was these studies answered the questions we were asking.Gene