[Coral-List] Coral propagation and transplantation is a well established practice with knowledge and nuance.

Victor Bonito staghorncoral at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 00:04:42 UTC 2021

 Hi Les and Coral Listers,

Indeed the new book by David Vaughan surely has a wealth of knowledge in it - however not everyone can afford the US$100 book or even access it easily if they wanted to purchase it (e.g. Amazon doesn't ship to Fiji where I am based). Moreover, I found that apart from being challenging to access for many, scientific literature is written with a lot of jargon and terms that are not so easily understood by many who are engaging in coral restoration - such is the case here in Fiji where I've been working for ~decade to build capacity and understanding about coral restoration techniques and strategies.

To get around the issue of scientific literature and jargon, I put together a free PDF document "Coral gardener's guide to implementing ecologically relevant coral restoration strategies" this year that incorporates the latest information from the scientific literature without all the scientific jargon and with lots of illustrations.  The document is not a repeat of any of the free PDF guides available through CRC, UNEP or others, but was put together to be complementary with them.

For those interested, you can download the high-res PDF doc here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g4hsc7MWcVfCVzbIGOXSjE8kW61LY_dr/view?usp=sharing

Any feedback/constructive criticism is of course welcome as I plan to refine and expand upon the document in future versions.

Cheers,

Victor