[Coral-List] Corals of St. Martin's Island, Bangladesh

tomascik at novuscom.net tomascik at novuscom.net
Thu Jul 8 18:59:00 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

During the past 20 years, or so, a number of scientific research papers,
reports, and numerous articles in popular publications came out that
gave a clear impression of the existence of a coral island and coral
reefs in the northeastern Bay of Bengal, namely St. Martin’s Island in
Bangladesh. In 1996 I was given an opportunity to conduct a survey of
the island. When I was offered this opportunity I was really excited
because I found out from a 1988 UNEP/IUCN publication (i.e., Coral reefs
of the world. Volume 2: Indian Ocean, Red Sea and Gulf, p 387) that St.
Martin’s Island was surrounded by coral reefs. Considering that the
island is only about 200 km from the world’s largest delta (Ganges
Brahmaputra Delta) I decided that I really had to see these coral reefs.
I just completed my work in Indonesia, where I was fortunate to actually
see a number of beautiful and healthy delta-front coral reefs systems,
so to have a chance to see another coral reefs system in a delta-front
setting was irresistible. Long story short, there are no coral reefs on
St. Martins Island, but I did find vibrant coral communities and other
coral associated flora and fauna present, and considering where the
island is located that did ‘blow my mind’ so to speak.  We have just
published an editorial in the ‘Ocean Science Journal’ that we hope will
shed some light on the reality of St. Martin’s Island and its amazing
coral communities. We hope that this will clarify the coral reef story
and hopefully assist the decisionmakers in Bangladesh in their future
decisions to fund research project in the area.

Anyone who is interested to learn more about St. Martin’s Island please
visit:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/353022202_Comment_on_Gazi_et_al_2020_Detecting_Coral_Reef_Degradation_on_St_Martin's_Island_Bangladesh

Anyone interested in the 1997 report on the coral resources of St.
Martin’s Island please visit:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/304077895_MANAGEMENT_PLAN_FOR_CORAL_RESOURCES_OF_NARIKEL_JINJIRA_St_Martin's_Island

and

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351195705_Figures_for_Tomascik_1997_St_Martin's_Island_report