[Coral-List] Last 3 days to apply for upcoming - REEF BUILDING WORKSHOP

Hanna Kuhfuss hanna.kuhfuss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 20:48:57 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Since our last post: „Last 3 days to apply for upcoming - REEF BUILDING
WORKSHOP“ has attracted some attention, we try to respond to your
questions, suggestions, and criticisms collectively here. Thank you for
your emails, time, and attention.

1) Briefly to classify us. We are a very young not-for-profit association
founded last year in October. We are a motivated and interdisciplinary team
with scientific, artistic, and dive-technical/scientific-diving background.
We are just at the beginning with this project, even though we have been
independently active in science and science communication for quite some
time (for previous publications and exhibitions please just google Ulrike
Pfreundt, Hanna Kuhfuss, and Marie Griesmar). The clay structures we have
developed (they are pure fired Terracotta clay) have been tested by us in
the laboratory in the flow channel for their hydrodynamic properties and we
are currently evaluating our first biodiversity experiment, which has been
in the water in the Maldives since the end of 2019. The artificial reef we
are building now in Colombia is our first prototype, a real study case, and
our first proof of concept in the wild, with a subsequent multi-year
monitoring program, further R&D, and different studies in partnership with
universities and other organizations working in the coral care sector.
Therefore we have not published or peer-reviewed scientific papers yet. Our
study just started and we will be happy to share our findings when they are
ready to publish.

2) What does rehabilitation mean to us? We are aware of the fact that
actually "restoring" a coral reef is nearly impossible. Then we would also
need a baseline: To which previous condition would it be restored? So,
instead, we aim to rehabilitate coral reefs in the sense that we provide
habitat for a high diversity of organisms, including corals, trying to
provide the best possible starting conditions for the reef ecosystem to
regenerate itself. Creating macro and micro surface textures with our 3-D
printed clay structures that are designed to help coral recruits survive,
as they provide favorable conditions in terms of flow, shelter, and
porosity – of course, this hypothesis needs to be further scientifically
tested. For the future, we aim to scale to self-sustaining breakwaters
designed as green living barriers to restore biodiversity, ecosystem
services such as food provision, coastal protection, and protection of
other marine habitats (mangroves and seagrass meadows). Well, and everyone
has to start small one day – so here we are.

3) Our intention: We aim to work on substrate enhancement methods that can
restore lost habitat in places where reefs cannot recover because
structurally complex habitat is missing, similar to MARS reef spiders but
trying to offer more space for coral larvae instead of relying only on
coral fragments, and trying to generate more habitat altogether. That way,
we hope to achieve higher genetic diversity on our new eco-designed
structures.

We are aware that building new artificial reef structures will not solve
coral die-off directly and will not address climate change, ocean
acidification, and local stressors. I think we agree on that - Mike and
Elizabeth, and hopefully with most of you?! We address those issues
indirectly through our educational work and collaboration with others. We
are trying to give nature more time or is anyone here convinced that
humanity will change overnight and live sustainably? We don't think so. So
would it be more correct to do nothing and wait for a miracle of human
change to happen - preferably already yesterday? No, we think it needs all
of it: rehabilitation, reconstruction, climate action, environmental
protection, protected areas, ban zones, and above all a sustainable global
society, in which people have the same opportunities and possibilities.
Only then will it be possible to live in balance with nature. Well, or at
least with less harm and responsible use of resources.

By designing our engineered structures from science in an aesthetic way,
and including workshop participants and local people in the process, our
hope is that we can use the artificial reef not only for habitat creation
but also as an object that generates interest and curiosity to learn more
about what harms coral reefs and also what makes them so astonishingly
beautiful. We believe that an artificial reef, with the right communication
functioning as an environmental awareness-raising living object, can be a
starting point to address local stressors as well as global issues, and
will reach further than people who directly depend on it.

All the best

yours rrreefs team

Hanna Kuhfuss

Marie Griesmar

Ulrike Pfreundt

--
*HANNA KUHFUSS*

*Co-Founder at rrreefs (NGO)*
rethinking-rebuilding-regenerating coral reefs

www.rrreefs.com

*Geschäftsführerin/Gründerin Aerialnauten *

*by Schwerelos Yoga Freiburg*

*Aerial Yoga Studio, Yoga Therapie & Training*
*mail schwerelosyoga.freiburg at gmail.com <schwerelosyoga.freiburg at gmail.com>*
*mobile* (+49) 177 3454 952
www.schwerelos-yoga.de