[Coral-List] Coral Reefs Optimism

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 22:03:53 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

During the last days, we have experienced involvement of many
researchers in a discussion within the boundaries of the Science of
Loss. Basically, we all agree that the first step to recover a coral
reef, it is the elimination of local threats! That is not impossible
at all. We have the knowledge to justify it.

In fact, in our International Coral Reefs Observatory, we have found
two case studies that are evidence that effective protection to coral
reefs resilience WORKS. All of us as a strong scientific community can
stop megaprojects that otherwise may have destroyed coral reefs.

Remember the ICRS 2016 Plenary, when I stood up to request the
organizers to write a formal request to the Former Colombian President
to stop dredging on Varadero Coral Reef. Few days later, with the
support of the Former Director of the Society for Conservation
Biology, we addressed the past Colombian President, the seven
communities of fishers of the Cartagena Bay (Ararca, Santa Ana,
Pasacaballos, Bocachica, Tierrabomba, Caño Del Oro and Barú) also
protested and many other NGOs and coral reef scientists raise their
voices. The good news: Varadero Reef is still alive!!
The second case study is Capurgana-Cabo Tiburón in Choco, Colombia,
Caribbean Sea. The local community contacted the Foundation ICRI
Colombia to request help to stop illegal industrial fisheries. We
talked to the Fisheries Director of ANDI and in a meeting with the
managers of the industrial fleet, they decided to stop activities in
that area and move to the Eastern Pacific.  The good news:
Capurgana-Cabo Tiburon Reefs are still alive!!
Both case study areas, have been declared Hope Spots by Mission Blue,
during the International Year of The Reef IYOR 2018. Completing 100%
Coral reef areas protected in Colombia. The performance of ecological,
social and economic indicators are evidence that ecosystem resilience
management works.  If you want to learn more, check out our talk
Implementing SDG 14 in Colombia to improve Coral Reef Conservation
Effectiveness. Authors: N.H: Galvis, R.H. Galvis,  Foundation ICRI
Colombia, at the ICRS2021, Theme 12 - Session 12K-1 Thursday 22.07,
09:25-09:40 (Colombian time)

The background at the ICRS 2016 is found at
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/314153451_Galvis_N_H_y_RH_Galvis_2016_Colombian_citizen_science_to_improve_coral_reef_conservation_Citizen_Science_Proceedings_International_Coral_Reef_Session_88_606-619

In the following Photo at the ICRS2016 with the professor of my ALMA
MATER University of Miami, John McManus who sent me a message agreeing
with my posts about "it is possible to save coral reefs with local and
global actions to stop threats" and with my firend Austin Bowden-Kerby
who has recently sent me his appologies on behalf of the restoration
practitioners who do not understand the relevance of our efforts in 3
decades to stop local threats as our words are certainly, very
positive early alerts to improve any strategy to increase coral
biodiversity and coral reefs ecosystem integrity  !!

https://www.facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA/photos/a.444087122294022/1068951883140873/?type=3&theater

The Coral Reefs Recovery Battle, It is not among us, it should be
against unsustainable development.

--
Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora,
Observatorio Internacional de Arrecifes Coralinos
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife
Follow us on:
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia
Youtube ICRI Colombia