[Coral-List] Last 3 days to apply for upcoming - REEF BUILDING WORKSHOP

Igor Pessoa pessoa.igor at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 22:35:07 UTC 2021

Hi all

I am with Austin and Franziska... the challenges facing coral restoration
scientists and practitioners as a result of the incessant and increasing
attacks on reef restoration are unprecedented in the history of coral reef
scientific community. Several reef scientists continue to assume that to
replant the entire reef, or offer a quick fix solution that waters down the
need for action on climate change.  Indeed, there are those who promote
that approach still. But this is rubbishing all coral restoration in highly
visible public tweets, and it keeps coming to Coral List through various
researchers as they see quick fix positions portrayed in the media. To have
a fractured and disunited coral reef community is not such a good thing in
this time of crisis. What we need is a unity of vision to raise our voice
more loudly, and make us more effective in our collective work to
disseminate and raise awareness about the importance of our cause, as far
as we hope for coral reefs into sustainable management. We are in the
leading edge in the war against the impacts of climate change to keep coral
species and genotypes alive in the face of mass die offs.  And we are in
the same boat but we don't have the luxury of waiting for all problems to
be solved, so let's work together along parallel tracks!

Best,
Igor Pessoa