[Coral-List] We all agree with Rescuing Corals of Hope

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 15:46:31 UTC 2021

Dear Coral LIst,

This is my last message before the ICRS 2021 starts next week, when
most of us will be busy participating actively during the most
relevant scientific meeting where virtually managers, practitioners,
activists and researchers meet cordially to share findings to improve
coral reefs conservation effectiveness.

I want to clarify that we all agree with Rescuing Corals of Hope and
look for alternatives to prevent further coral reef destruction. The
objective of the open criticism that many of us have expressed
transparently to restoration and rehabilitation projects is not a
personal attack to the restoration practitioners, as some have
misunderstood or used the opportunity to deviate attention. It is a
coherent and constructive way to improve coral survival and
biodiversity from those interesting experiments and sound practices
some expensive. Specifically, we should avoid justification of
megaprojects that allow coral reef destruction due to unsustainable
development.  Funding for this shadow projects is very common  and
comes in millions of dollars. That is why we felt the need to
pronounce with an early alert.

Internationally, the Blue Economy supports the restoration projects
very well so there is not need to be afraid. What worries is that
developers may use those projects to avoid looking for geographical
alternatives where there are not coral reefs to enlarge ports, dredge
coral areas, increase transportation with cruises and big ships, etc.
Those unsustainable megaprojects close to corla reef areas may be
implicated in the outbreak of coral diseases.

Restoration projects have reached top decision makers who loved the
possibility of shadow projects, which may become another factor of
degradation in this sense. The context in Colombia is easy to
understand. At the moment, the government face austerity and a need
for tax reform.... with those millions of dollars from the Blue
Economy, for example you may advise the Colombian President to improve
sewage management, compensate local communities and rebuild
Providencia with an environmental friendly approach to lower
greenhouse gases emissions. The local community is protesting because
their basic needs (to have where to live) are not covered
satisfactorily in the last eight months after Category 5 Hurricane
Iota that destroyed the 98% of terrestrial infrastructure.

Thus, we all should agree that coral reefs recovery is possible when
we take action to eliminate local and contribute to diminsh global
threats. In fact, that is our Commitment with the United Nations
#OceanAction14819 "Preventing negative impacts in coral reefs is more
effective that supporting unsustainable projects by promissing to save
coral reefs with shadow projects".
https://oceanconference.un.org/commitments/?id=14819

--
Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora,
Observatorio Internacional de Arrecifes Coralinos
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife
Follow us on:
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia
Youtube ICRI Colombia