[Coral-List] Davies Lab is seeking Postdoctoral Researcher in Coral Genomics Spring 2022

sarah davies daviessw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 15:41:42 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I'm excited to share the following postdoc opportunity with our community.

Cheers
Sarah

*Location*: Davies Lab, Boston University, Boston MA

*Required start date*: January-March 2022.

*Background*: The Davies lab <http://sites.bu.edu/davieslab> in
collaboration with the Meyer-Kaiser lab
<http://kirstinmeyer.blogspot.com/p/student-opportunities.html> (Woods Hole
Oceanographic Institution) is recruiting a postdoctoral researcher to work
on an NSF-funded research project titled “How do selection, plasticity, and
dispersal interact to determine coral success in warmer and more variable
environments?” We are seeking a researcher with a Ph.D. in
biology/ecology/evolution or a related field who is excited to collaborate
with a tight-knit team across the fieldwork, labwork, and data science
components of the project.
Fieldwork will be conducted in Palau across three field seasons, so the
position requires demonstrated field experience and the ability to work
collaboratively in an international setting. The first field season will be
in May/April 2022. Due to the tight timeline, existing scientific diving
credentials are strongly preferred, but not required. Prior experience with
coral spawning would also be advantageous. When not in the field, the
candidate will focus on generating coral/symbiont genomes, genomic and
transcriptomic analyses, and microbial community analyses, so demonstrated
strength in some aspect(s) of data science (e.g. experience in R, linux,
other bioinformatic tools) are required. The project also includes broader
impact activities related to training high school students and
undergraduates as well as collaborative interdisciplinary concert series,
so the candidate should have interests in mentorship and outreach.

*Minimum qualifications*: PhD in biology, ecology, evolution, genetics,
genome science, data science, or another relevant field. Experience
conducting fieldwork on coral reefs and moderate experience in some
aspect(s) of data science.

*Preferred qualifications*: Preference will be given to applicants with 1)
experience conducting fieldwork, with work and coral reefs and coral
spawning experience being desirable; 2) expertise in genomics and
computational biology; 3) strong communication and organizational skills;
4) can code in R and have a strong dedication to transparent and
reproducible science; 5) demonstrated publication experience; 6) Active
scientific SCUBA diving status; and 7) interest in increasing equity and
diversity in STEM. We strongly encourage members from diverse backgrounds
to apply, as we strive to promote the voices of underrepresented groups in
ecology and evolution.

*Position Details*: The initial appointment would be one year, however the
project has funding for two years assuming adequate progress. Postdoc
benefits include health insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts),
flexible spending accounts (FSAs) for supplemental medical costs, and a
403(b) retirement plan. Starting salary is $53,760 USD with associated
merit-based raises each year.

*Application*: Interested candidates should submit:

1) a one‐page cover letter describing your fit for the position (include
your earliest available start date),
2) your CV that includes the names and contact information of at least
three references familiar with your work.

Please submit materials by *August 9th, 2021 to Sarah Davies
(daviessw at gmail.com <daviessw at gmail.com>) with “Palau Postdoc” in the
subject*. Applicants will be reviewed by the Davies and Meyer-Kaiser Labs
and selected candidates will be interviewed over Zoom. If you have
questions about your fit for the position, please feel free to email me to
discuss.

--
Sarah W. Davies M.Sc. Ph.D.
she/her/hers