[Coral-List] New Global Change Biology study: trait-based invasion impact hotspots

Stephanie Green steph.j.green at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 22:24:28 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

We're writing to alert you about our new study "Trait-based
vulnerability reveals hotspots of potential impact for a global marine
invader" in Global Change Biology.

Read the full text here:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/gcb.15732

Download the PDF here: https://greenlab.ca/publications/

_Summary:_
We identify coastal regions with coral reef fishes most vulnerable to
impacts and potential extirpation from invasive lionfish (/Pterois
volitans/ P. miles)/ in order to help inform prioritization for
management intervention. Our approach uses information on traits know to
increase fish vulnerability to predation by lionfish (shape, size, water
column position, habitat use, aggregation behaviour, others) and
geographic range size for >1,500 species. We also estimate timelines for
management intervention in newly invaded regions from past population
trajectories in the invaded Western Atlantic.

_Results highlights:_
- In the Atlantic, we identify coastal regions off Belize, the Bahamas,
Bonaire, and Curaçao as hotspots of endemic fishes highly vulnerable to
invasion impacts.
- Ahead of the invasion front, reefs around several offshore islands of
Brazil harbour high numbers of endemic species likely to be most
impacted once the invasion takes hold.
- Data from lionfish stomach contents and native fish populations from
REEF citizen science surveys validate our trait-based predictions.
- Lionfish population data from the Western Atlantic reveal the average
invasion timeline is 5 yrs, median 2 yrs (yrs to reach peak high
abundances after first sighting). This timeline could be used as a proxy
for the maximum time management authorities have to organize a
management response before the invasion is at peak local abundance.
- Our approach and findings are also relevant for identifying spatial
priorities and estimating management timelines within the Mediterranean
invasion.

Please let us know if you have any questions about this work.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Green (sgreen1 at ualberta.ca) and Christi Linardich
(clina001 at odu.edu)

--