[Coral-List] FW: Sewage and waste management in small tropical island settings

Paul Muir paul.muir at qm.qld.gov.au
Wed Jun 2 23:44:54 UTC 2021

Re: sewage for small island communities,
Waterless composting toilets have enormous potential with 'zero' nutrient runoff, very low cost and appropriate technology. From my personal 'case study' (20+ years using a homemade system), I can fully recommend these! Unlike the public composting systems in many Australian National Parks (e.g. Lady Musgrave coral cay), family-sized systems are incredibly clean and odour-free - TBH I find using a standard flush toilet pretty distasteful these days! A family-sized system can be built in an hour from a 200l blue plastic drum (all too common on most dumps), some PVC pipe, computer fan and small solar panel. The resulting compost is free of pathogens (due elevated heat over extended times) and can be used on crops etc. Unlike many systems, the breakdown is fully aerobic which also means reduced greenhouse emissions (no methane etc.) and a surprisingly pleasant compost smell! The standard method of mixing waste with water is just a recipe for anaerobic microbial mayhem- and a terrible waste of freshwater.

It's a heavily under-utilized technology IMHO. PM me for more details if interested.

PAUL MUIR