[Coral-List] Nohora Galvis <william.precht at gmail.com>

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 19:38:05 UTC 2021

Dear Eugene,

Diseases get widespread for various reasons. For example, dredging mix
bottom habitats producing particles in suspension and sedimentation.
Protected areas may have afterwards higher transit of cargo and
cruises that serve as vehicules for contagious agents.

Remember that one of the recommendations to control increasing the
geographical extent of SCTLD, is that divers that have visited
polluted areas or areas with SCTLD should avoid using he same gear or
at least disinfect it before going to dive in coral reefs without
SCTLD.

The hypothesis of African Dust is interesting, as in Colombia, it was
reported for Bogota and Medellin in February 2021.  However, INVEMAR
(the government research instituion) has not yet found SCTLD in the
Seflower coral reefs. You can watch at
https://es-la.facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA/ the video shared by INVEMAR
in the Park McBean after Hurricane Iota where they found less impact.
Hurricanes also help to mix bottom habitats. Eta and Iota afected with
strong currents until 12 m deep around the Archipelago, changing
depths in some dive sites and breaking coral colonies including
Dendrogyra colonies.

<coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>:
> The you tube sites provided by Joe Pawlik are most interesting. First he
> says coral demise began in the turks and Cacos in in the 1980 and
> continued into the 1990s. The peak of coral demise in the Florida Keys
> was 1983 (and continues today) which as we have pointed out numerous
> times was the peak year of African dust flux to the Keys. I don't need
> to remind the readers of all the microbes, toxic minerals and pesticides
> we identified in  the dust. It is interesting to see in the video what
> happened to reefs in the Turks and Cacos that are not adjacent to any
> land based sources off the same ingredients carried by African dust.
> Being closer to Africa it is reasonable that Turks and Cacos receives
> more dust than the Florida Keys.
>
> The video also show the second wave of coral demise in the Turks and
> Cacos that is likely associated to what happend in the Florida Keys that
> many attributed to the deepening of the Government Cut ship channel at
> Miami. How many miles apart are they? and does the current flow from
> Miami to the Turks and Cacos? Gene

Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora Observatorio Pro Arrecifes
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife
Follow us on:
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia
Instagram ObservatorioArrecifesCoral