[Coral-List] FW: messages for the public? (Ward, Jessica)

Stacey Tighe stacey.tighe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 20:36:40 UTC 2021

REPLYING TO:
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 14:58:24 +0000
From: "Ward, Jessica" <JEWARD at broward.org>
To: "'coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov'"
        <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
Subject: [Coral-List] FW:  messages for the public?

While I generally agree with John's list of top-three targets, it
definitely varies geographically. Here in Florida, the local stressors our
corals face threaten to decimate our reefs long before Climate Change can
ultimately kill them off. This is probably true for many areas of the
Caribbean as well, but less so for more pristine areas of the Pacific.
There have been (and still on-going) multiple large-scale and global coral
habitat mapping efforts; have there been similar efforts to globally map
the top threats to reefs by location?

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I can not speak for the other regions, but The World Resources
Institute/Reefs at Risk Program has produced a great set on mapping the
global threats.

Some are even repeated: (time series):  The Coral Triangle set of documents
in the region I work were repeated .  VERY Helpful when talking to
changemakers.

I hope this link is of some interest.

Reefs at Risk Project | World Resources Institute
<https://www.wri.org/initiatives/reefs-risk#:~:text=The%20Reefs%20at%20Risk%20project,development%2C%20overfishing%2C%20and%20pollution.>
The *Reefs at Risk* project assesses the status of and threats to the
*world's* coral *reefs* from a wide range of human activities including
coastal development, overfishing, and pollution.

 Stacey
--

*Stacey A Tighe, PhD* | Marine Science and Policy Advisor

Indonesian Mobile: +62 811 935 9709 | USA Mobile: +1-808-554-3657

Email: stacey.tighe at gmail.com