[Coral-List] Passing of Walter C. Jaap

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Mon Jun 7 15:08:13 UTC 2021

With a heavy heart I announce to the coral-list community the passing of
Florida’s coral reef expert Walt Jaap. Walt who served 35 years with the
Florida Fish and Wildlife commission passed away May 9, 2021 at the age
of 80 following a bicycle accident. After retiring Walt continued to
serve us as our reporter/representative to the International Coral Reef
Committee Newsletter. Walt was a most kind person, appreciated and well
liked by all who knew him. If you conducted any coral research in
Florida then you knew Walt or knew of him.In the 40+ years I knew him I
never heard him utter a contentious word about any fellow researchers, a
rarity among many of us coral researchers. He will be greatly missed. Gene