[Coral-List] Coral Tissue Loss Disease

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Mon Jun 7 15:52:29 UTC 2021

We thank Douglas Fenner for bringing this article on tissue loss disease
to our attention. Tissue Loss Disease that began in the Miami area in
2012 has now spread throughout to the wider Caribbean. The disease is
presently decimating corals in the unpopulated southern Turks and Caicos
hundreds of miles up-current and up-wind from where it was first detected.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/deadly-coral-disease-threatening-more-080043405.html
<https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/deadly-coral-disease-threatening-more-080043405.html>

The disease should be taken seriously especially when reported by people
like Judy Lang who is no new comer like most on the coral-list. Judy was
probably the first to document Caribbean coral diseases and competition
between coral species way back in the early 1970s. I do not know anyone
else who knows more about corals and their diseases than Judy. Like Judy
I too was concerned back then when I published an article in Sea
Frontiers magazine. I was criticizing all the attention given to anchor
damage and other physical threats while not paying attention to coral
diseases that were the larger cause of coral demise. Coral biologists
did finally began to recognize diseases as the main threat to coral
reefs. Ironically these diseases were occurring before climate change
took center stage. Back then /Acroporid/ death peaked everywhere in the
Caribbean in 1983, and continues today. Black Band disease in head
corals followed during the unusually calm weather of 1986. Antibiotics
and underwater cement/epoxy dams were employed in attempts to stem the
advance of black band disease.There were local successes but none
sufficient to save entire coral reefs. Harold Hudson who became known as
the “Coral Doctor” after leaving USGS and Joining the NOAA Florida Keys
Marine Sanctuary was to my knowledge the first to attempt stemming the
spread of black band disease. He pioneered the use of cement, epoxy, and
underwater vacuums to stem the advance of black band. Little has changed
except that those 200-year old affected corals are now dead. The exact
origin of black band death then was not known and little is now known
about the cause of Tissue Loss disease that began in the vicinity of the
Miami ship channel. “What sparked the initial outbreak in Florida is a
mystery—toxins, bacteria, and viruses are all potential culprits. /We’re
likely never going to be able to say what was the one thing that caused
it,” said Maurizio Martinelli, Florida Sea Grant’s coral disease
response coordinator. “But it was a period of particular stress for
coral.”/

When diseases attack humans and other animals there are usually huge
efforts to identify the cause and source of the pathogenic
bacteria/virus/or fungi responsible for the diseases. In the case of
corals it has generally come down to treating only the symptoms, not the
cause.Of course everyone still points their fingers at ships ballast
water, small boats, sewage, unclean dive equipment, divers urine, You
name it, all without any scientific proof? The blame game continues
today as it did in the 1970s. Where is the research that might determine
the actual cause, or causes? We know the “usual suspects” but why have
they not been proven by research?

In less than a year Corona virus was determined to cause COVID 19
disease. We know the cause but the source of this virus of course is not
so easy. However, knowing the cause did lead to development of the
vaccine.So, why can’t we determine the cause and source of the various
coral diseases? We like to think we know the sources but what is the
actual cause? Where is the proof that ballast water is the carrier?
Don’t we have microbiologists that can determine the actual source and
cause of these diseases? It would seem that until we know the causes we
can not truly educate the public. Of course we want clean clear water
but shouldn’t we know what microbes or chemicals in the water are
causing the diseases? Where are the bioassays needed to prove the
causes? The problem of course is money. Americans are not likely to
spend the same amounts of money we spend on human diseases to cure sick
corals. They are not warm and fuzzy enough for the average American in
Montana to worry about. When humans and their children sicken it is
another matter. Gene